Wednesday, November 19, 2008

ni sa bula si'a!


















My house! From the back. It's a traditional bamboo bure.












My "kitchen"- they built this addition for me. I have a wood fire stove and a gas stove.


















Inside view #1: rest of my kitchen (a real sink!!! and it works!!!) and the door to the bathroom













Inside view #2: my bed

painting of Jesus. I visited another volunteer near Rakiraki and in her site is a Catholic church with this painting. I found out afterwards it's apparently very famous because it shows a black jesus. But of course we all know that Jesus wasn't white, right? White people didn't originate in Jerusalem, Egypt, Bethalehem, or any other biblical "middle eastern" places. Anyway, some French missionaries painted it awhile back. It's a beautiful church and the view is spectacular.
I am up in the North now. It's hot. Bloody, bloody, bloody hot. Stifling hot. I have a cute little bamboo bure (see above picture) that I'm loving. it is actually pretty cool inside, with a nice air flow. I'm replacing another volunteer who left suddenly in October. He had started some goo dprojects so I'm excited to continue his work. It's very different up here, both culturally and environmentally. I'm on the ocean (don't get excited about the beach- it's muck and disgusting) eating fish every single meal outside of breakfast. There are a gazillion coconuts and everything has lolo (coconut milk) in it, which is good but really fattening I had lost weight in Nairukuruku but it's all back, plus some, after my indulgence in Suva and the food here. Yuck. The women don't go to the field, which is really hard for me. I really enjoyed farming. They do all the fishing though so i'm excited to try that and they can keep gardens, which are closer to the village. It's a small village of about 27 houses (I think that's a generous count, I need to double check). It's a Chiefly village, which means it's in charge of the "tikina" (like a county) and very important. It's also really conservative, hence the very dramatic split of gender roles. The sexual politics will be hard to overcome here as women are pretty much expected not to be able to do any labor and to of course cook, a lot (which is really nice if you want a kitchen built so you can, gasp! cook your own meals, unlike many of the male vols. Americans can cook?!?).
The language is very different, too. They drop the "k" sound, which is in some of the most oft used words, like 'lako', 'tiko,' and 'vinaka' (meaning, respectively, to go/come, to stay/reside/live in, and thank you) are now 'la'o,' "ti'o," and 'vina'a" and the "q" sound is replaced by "k." Plus a bunch of different words for other things: 'maka' means no and fish is "koli."
I've also started going by "Alisi," making good use of a rarely used middle name. I decided Taylar was just a little too difficult to say. A new village, a new name, a new start!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh Taylar, your little house looks beautiful! I was scanning the photos hoping to see something of yours ...
I know you'll work hard and make a difference.

You sound happy ... good luck with your new site. Continue to stay healthy and safe. And, know that we're hoping to come see you next fall. We miss you ....

Try to get a picture of you online! Take care. As always, with love, MOM

Taylar said...

Everything in my house is mine! I wanted to get more pictures up but my camera battery is dead. It's cute. Things are good here; different but good. I've been healthy for the most part but man my body is taking a beating! I keep cutting my feet and getting blisters and of course my sting. But it's all good.