Wednesday, July 2, 2008

coming soon: pictures

First order of business, the group has started a Photobucket site for all our pictures. Here is the address: http://photobucket.com/Fijifre6 I'm not sure how it works on your end, but I think you should be able to go there and look at pictures. Alas, nothing is posted... yet! Hopefully we can get some pics up there soon. I'm just as anxious to show my pictures as I'm sure you are to see them.

Second, thanks so much for the comments!! It's so wonderful to hear from people. kelsey, I totally appreciated the updates! The only news I get is about the Fiji 15s rugby team. I also eagerly await any and all packages, large and/or small! But I don't expect them because I know it's expensive and I still have a good two+ years to go here in Fiji.

What else. My nickname in the village is "Di Tela." "Tela" means tailor and "Di" is a shortened word for aunt or a sign of respect and chiefly position in the village. It's fun. Kids shout out my name as I'm walking around and call me stuff like Mommy Taylar. Friday we're finding out our site announcements and celebrating the 4th of July. Next week we go visit our sites then return to our villages for two more weeks. It's starting to go fast now!

Foods I've taken to liking are "rourou" which is the leaves of the dalo plant and sosopi, which in English I'm told is soupsop. It's this delicious fruit that is both sweet and sour at the same time and so utterly delicious I can't even describe it!

Once I get to my site I'll get a new address, so I'll keep you posted on that. I'll also get a mobile soon, too. Technology is amazing sometimes.

Fiji is full of a lot of paradoxes. The more I learn about the country, too, the harder the problems seem to be to solve. There aren't really a lot of resources here except for the natural ones and space is really limited so it's hard to start up industries, especially because the infrastructure also isn't really here. The investment in the country is all foreign and with an interim, not democratically elected government, it's hard for anything to be accomplished. I'm excited about what we'll be doing because we'll actually be working with people who will most benefit who aren't being heard or don't know where to go. A lot of the kids are sick (always with runny noses, coughs, etc) or have boils and scabies. Medical care is free is some areas but the tradition is so strong in the villages that they don't like to go. [Speaking of which, I have my first PC injury: a little heat rash spot on the inside of my left elbow. I have no idea how it happened.]

I'm really encouraged by the way PC goes about their work, but Training is a whole different story. It's pretty unorganized and we spend a lot of time waiting. We don't have any free days except Sundays and by then we're just tired and our families want to spend time with us. Balancing "American time" and organization with "Fiji Time" is a really hard place to be.

I think I'll stop there. If there are any questions, shout them out. I forget what I write.

Much love!!!!!

5 comments:

sally said...

My husband and I have just been nominated for the South Pacific..me in environmental ed. and he in Water and Sanitation. I'll be reading your blog and will be interested in anything you have to say.

Sally

Laura said...

Hey Taylar---
You sound busy, happy and enjoying the ride. What an adventure!
What will you do to celebrate the 4 of July? We are going to Jim and Jess's to cook out and watch the Elver Park fireworks.

I put a package in the mail yesterday, so with any luck you will see it next week.

Do you have to peel that fruit or do you eat it like an apple? Sounds pretty tasty.

Take care.
Love,

Laura and All

Taylar said...

http://lesliejohninfiji.blogspot.com/
Also, check this out from other volunteers!

Morgan said...

In honor of Independence Day, I've put together a little quiz for you. Here are some songs w/ America in the song; let's see how many you can get:

"`Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/It`s the American way/Hey Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list/And the Statue of Liberty started shakin her fist"

"Some folks are born made to wave the flag,/Ooh, they're red, white and blue./And when the band plays "Hail to the chief",/Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord,/It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son."

"As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking/Is this land made for you and me?/Nobody living can ever stop me,/As I go walking that freedom highway;/Nobody living can ever make me turn back/This land was made for you and me."

"Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A."

"They're coming to America
Everytime that flags unfurled
They're coming to America
Got a dream to take them there
They're coming to America"

"See the rain through a gaping wound/Pounding on the women and children/Who run/Into the arms/Of America"

"There's pride in every American heart/and it's time we stand and say:I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free"

"Living in America - hit me
Living in America - yeah,
I walk in and out
Living in America"

"Counting the cars on the New Jersey turnpike/They've all gone to look for America/All gone to look for America, All gone to look for America"

"Oh but ain't that America for you and me/Ain't that America somethin' to see baby/Ain't that America home of the free/Little pink houses for you and me "

"Bye bye Miss American pie, drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry" (TOO EASY, I know...)

"Oooh, whoa, everybody's dreaming big/Oooh, whoa, but everybody's just getting by/That's how it goes in everyday America"

And, just for you...
"Well she was an American girl/Raised on promises/She couldn't help thinkin'/That there was a little more to life somewhere else/After all it was a great big world/With lots of places to run to"

Taylar said...

Hi Sally- if you have any specific questions, you can e-mail me at tef412@gmail.com If you're leaving soon, you probably won't be in Fiji but a lot of the countries are relatively similar (so I'm told). Be prepared for hot and cold! And get some really good slip-on/off sandals! That's my best advice so far.