Friday, June 27, 2008

hey

Hello again.
I don't know if anyone is even reading this, but I'll keep updating anyway. Today we learned about beekeeping and had to wear some fun beekeeping suits that were really really hot. It's now super hot, everyday. Yesterday our village hosted the "hub day" when we all got together. We did a meke, which is a dance, about mongooses. We wore grass skirts and the boys danced all crazy and it was a lot of fun. Next Friday we find out where our sites are and I'm really really excited.
I miss coffee, ice cream, cheese, beer, mushrooms, and pasta. I've become a chocoholic and crave lots of chocolate. So if anyone is looking to send me anything, a bag of M &Ms would be delicious; I almost bought a $7 bag of them! Yikes.
Things are going well. I'm ready to be own my own again (if that isn't clear) and find myself frustrated with living with a family and living with in a family within Peace Corps structure while being a woman. It's pretty restrictive, to say the least.
Lets see... I think I should clarify that I'm not actually in a choir, though I am always encouraged to sing, especially during church. My attendance at church has pretty much tripled total for the last two or three years. Scary indeed. Needless to say, there is no way I will ever be a "Born Again" and also my feelings towards organized religion and imperialism have only deepened. it's awful seeing what the churches have coerced people into doing. People here are poor. They don't have money for education, food, clothing, etc etc etc yet churches charge outrageous dues and make you give a significant amount of money you don't have each week. They call each family's name out loud for the offering. Ahhh!
What else.

I'm having a horrible time trying to open my e-mail so I don't think I'll be able to answer any e-mails. Morgan, I tried calling yesterday to wish you a Happy Birthday but there's really no way for me to use that phone card. Hope you were able to do something fun!

That's all for now- if anyone can let me know what's going on in the world, I'd appreciate it!

9 comments:

Lord Servant said...

I read your blog. Some friends went in the Peace Corp and I want to hear about other experiences which is why I subscribed to your blog RSS feed.

Alicia said...

I just got your email (Are You Alive?), but now I don't know if I should send you an email back or just write to you here. Can you open email now? Does one address work better than another? Also, I haven't received a letter, but I haven't checked my mailbox all week (I'm sure my mailman hates me). I will check today.

Beekeeping and mongoose dancing sounds fun, but going to church all the time does not. I'm glad you're not becoming a born-again, although it's pretty entertaining to imagine that happening.

I hope you have fun dancing in Suva tonight! (Or had fun. I'm still trying to figure out the time difference.)

auntie lani said...

Just mailed off a rather large box of "goodies" for you. You will be treated to tons of different chocolates, coffee, pictures, etc. Also added some things in the box for your family. Love hearing your news.

Weather here is very hot and humid right now. But you know me....I love the heat.

Trying to picture you running around in a bee and mongoose outfit.

Take care....will tip a cold one for you tonight...Love from all of us.
Uncle Bruce,Auntie Lani,Magan,Elijah,Ashley,Dominic

Anonymous said...

Hey Taylar! Don't worry, we're reading. Aww, too bad you're not in the choir. Everyone's been getting a kick out of the idea of you in a church choir, though I do understand why you're upset with the church stuff. Help is on the way - a package is going out to you really soon, now that the scrapbook is done - and I know we got some Pop-tarts and snack stuff for you, and we can throw some chocolate in there, too.

What's going on in the world? Well, yesterday the Supreme Court ruled the 2nd Amendment guarantees individuals the right to own a gun, in a case about the D.C. ban on handguns. Bill Gates is stepping down from Microsoft. World leaders are angry with Mugabe, who is forcing people to vote in a run-off election in Zimbabwe, even though the opposition candidate dropped out. Bush wants the U.S. to lift sanctions on North Korea now that they've handed in some sort of form that accounts for their nuclear work. Apparently there is "tension" between Obama and Clinton supporters - surprise, surprise - at a rally/fundraiser they held yesterday. Critics are saying that Heath Ledger as the Joker in the new Batman movie is his best work. Oil hit a new high at $142 a barrel. And in local news, part of DeWitt Street collapsed yesterday, thanks to the flooding.

Keep in touch! It's great to hear what you're doing. (By the way - beekeeping? Really?)

Love,
Kelsey

Godfather said...

Tay-Tay: Your Godfather here ... finally got a chance to get on your blog and catch up on your world. I'm jealous. I wish our parents would have allowed us a chance to see the world from the perspective of the PC. While I was aware of PC, it was never really an "option" to consider, but I know they do great work, and to integrate with another country is awesome.

Sure, it won't be all roses and soft comfy pillows, but think of the experience. We're proud of you.

As for becoming a "born-again" religious person. Don't paint us Holy Rollers into one box. Many religions, many interpretations, and many ways to believe. In the end, hopefully, we're all singing together anyway.

Keep the blog going, the stories flowing, and send us some grog ... would love to try that!

Love ya, girl.

Godfather said...

Oh, and in the sports world ...

- NHL and NBA drafts were held and the best players were selected first, second, blah, blah, blah.
- Brewers are up and down; but the Cubs keep winning.
- Brett Favre is still retired.
- Tiger Woods is out for the season with knee surgery. This after he won the U.S. Open in a fifth round of golf sudden-death playoff.
- Olympic trials are wrapping up and America looks to kick some butt in Beijing in August.

Godfather said...

One other thing, Taylar ... Coldplay's new album - Viva la Vida - is out and it is awesome. If you'd like, I'll burn a mix cd and send it along with a care package. I'll have to get your address from your mom.

Peace and that's all for now.

Morgan said...

Coldplay is overrated. The Cubs will choke--enjoy their winning while it lasts. Ann Curry and Meredith Viera are still as irritating as ever. I'm trying Pasqual's tonite for dinner--it best be good! And, most importantly, I figured out a killer way to get my hair curly and super cute.

Bday was okay, I worked for a couple of hours and watched "Dan in Real Life" which was cute. Then took a nap, ate at Famous Dave's, and finished season 6 of "Gilmore Girls." Your mother is becoming crazy about that show.

Dawn said...

Taylar,

Yes, we're reading your blog!! I'm giving the address to all interested parties, but we're all dying to see some photos!

Papa got your Father's Day card, and yes, we missed you at Thunder Valley. It was as delicious as ever and ran into some old friends from Lake Delton. It was a fun day, albeit somewhat sad as we drove around the lake and witnessed first hand the draining. Morgan, Papa and I walked out to the middle of the lakebed; kind of freaky as the saturated ground jiggled like quicksand and the entire place is quiet. People walk around whispering as if they might disturb the sadness that seems to have enveloped the area.

On a happier note, I got a kick out of your referencing beekeeping. I don't know if you remember that my great uncle, Arthur Ramsey (married to Aunt Tootie, Gramma Kaufman's sister) was a beekeeper in Pardeeville! Amazing ... maybe it's in your blood. But anyway, the summer library program theme this year is "Catch the Reading Bug" and I thought your experiencing the 'bee' world brings you a little closer to Wisconsin and what's going on here!

So, we got off a package today full of newspapers about the weather, some flip flops (from Kelsey), burned CDs from Morgan, pop tarts, candy, and lots of odds 'n ends. I know you'll enjoy sorting through it all.

Miss you, love you, and feeling good that you're enjoying your experience, good - bad- and all!

Continue to stay stay and well. Kisses and hugs, Mom