Saturday, July 5, 2008

"America Day"

In honor of Independence Day, I've put together a little quiz for you. Here are some songs w/ America in the song; let's see how many you can get:

"`Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/It`s the American way/Hey Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list/And the Statue of Liberty started shakin her fist" TOBY KEITH- BLECH

"Some folks are born made to wave the flag,/Ooh, they're red, white and blue./And when the band plays "Hail to the chief",/Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord,/It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son." CCR

"As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking/Is this land made for you and me?/Nobody living can ever stop me,/As I go walking that freedom highway;/Nobody living can ever make me turn back/This land was made for you and me." WOODY GUTHRIE

"Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A." BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

"They're coming to America
Everytime that flags unfurled
They're coming to America
Got a dream to take them there
They're coming to America"
NEIL DIAMOND

"See the rain through a gaping wound/Pounding on the women and children/Who run/Into the arms/Of America"
JOHN MELLENCAMP?

"There's pride in every American heart/and it's time we stand and say:I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free"
LEE GREENWOOD. BLEEEEEEEEEEEEECH

"Living in America - hit me
Living in America - yeah,
I walk in and out
Living in America"
AEROSMITH?

"Counting the cars on the New Jersey turnpike/They've all gone to look for America/All gone to look for America, All gone to look for America" PAUL SIMON/ SIMON & GARFUNKEL

"Oh but ain't that America for you and me/Ain't that America somethin' to see baby/Ain't that America home of the free/Little pink houses for you and me " JOHN MELLENCAMP

"Bye bye Miss American pie, drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry" (TOO EASY, I know...) DON MCLEAN

"Oooh, whoa, everybody's dreaming big/Oooh, whoa, but everybody's just getting by/That's how it goes in everyday America" No idea

And, just for you...
"Well she was an American girl/Raised on promises/She couldn't help thinkin'/That there was a little more to life somewhere else/After all it was a great big world/With lots of places to run to"
TOM PETTY!

that was fun. Thanks, Morgan! Happy 4th of July. Yesterday we and found out our sites. Drum roll: I'm in a village 2 hours northwest of Suva, in the interior! it's a big village, about 400 people. My projects sound wonderful and I'm really excited to check it out next week! I am bummed that I'm not going to Vanua Levu (really really bummed) and that I won't get to see any other parts of the country. But, all in all it sounds really good.

I had a touch of stomach troubles but I'm feeling okay now. We just watched a local rugby game which was a lot of fun, and muddy as it rained again.

Every time I'm able to use the internet, I keep forgetting what I want to say so I'll leave it at this for now. Hope everyone's enjoying their barbecues and beers and sparklers!

3 comments:

Morgan said...

"Oooh, whoa, everybody's dreaming big/Oooh, whoa, but everybody's just getting by/That's how it goes in everyday America" No idea
This was Sugarland (I had to stump you on at least ONE)

"See the rain through a gaping wound/Pounding on the women and children/Who run/Into the arms/Of America"
JOHN MELLENCAMP?
Actually no, it's U2 from the Joshua Tree album

"Living in America - hit me
Living in America - yeah,
I walk in and out
Living in America"
AEROSMITH?
Nope, James Brown. I thought the 'hit me' part would give it away. It's a crazy song! I watched a live version of it on YouTube and it's hilarious.

Alicia said...

Doesn't James Brown perform "Living in America" in Rocky IV? I'm pretty sure he does and it's awesome.

Taylar, can you get into your email yet? I haven't written you because I didn't know if you'd be able to check it. Should I use your Yahoo address?

Taylar said...

yahoo yahoo!