Sunday, December 14, 2008

reality

It's almost |Christmas... wow... it sure doesn't feel like it here! In church though they've been singing some carols- "Oh Holy Night" and "O Come all Ye Faithful" for a couple. They're beautiful sung a capella and in Fijian.

I got stung by another bee last night, this time on the toe and just sitting on a veranda drinking grog. It hurts but hasn't swelled up nearly as much as the other one did. This one kid got stung by three on his ears this weekend. They're really vicious.

Last night I blew out my lantern, laid down in bed, and those 20 seconds something plopped down next to me. Not to much surprise, it was a big old cockroach that I couldn't seem to get rid of.

I sometimes go to the Catholic church services which are held in one of the villager's houses. It's a simple service but I find that I enjoy the ritualism of the Catholic service. I don't know why I was surprised at some of the similarities; religion is religion wherever you go. it's been so long since I've gone to mass though that some simple things I can't remember, like the Apostle's Creed or even the prayer we used to say before eating.

I went to my first Fijian wedding this weekend. It lasted about 4 days. It was in a village not far from my mine, only about a 30 -45 min walk or so. I went Thurs. for the ceremony and went back Friday and Saturday nights for grog and dancing. There were a TON of people there and needless to say I did a lot of Fijian dancing. And grog drinking. The wedding isn't really that different: there's a church service, eating, gifts, and then a party. Men and women actually got to drink grog together (!) and it was family/villagers who cooked and served the food. One of my biggest surprises was the turtles. I couldn't bring myself to eat them. They look so helpless, these giant sea turtles on their backs killed mid stroke.

I guess that's about all. We start building the bread oven this week (I hope...). I'm here to buy supplies today. Things are moving along... If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if I'm going to marry a Fijian or told me I should stay here forever, I would be so unbelievably rich. Every mother wants to marry me away.

I really want to post more pictures but this time it's the computer that is the problem. I haven't had a problem opening my camera up before but the files are showing up as hidden every time I try to open up the folder. So... no pictures of the dead turtles, the wedding, my house, or my creatures.

If I'm not on here before, have a very merry christmas, make some snow angels for me, drink lots of apple knockers, and have a happy happy new year!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Taylar, yes, Christmas is just around the corner. Hard to believe. We've had lots of snow and today was one of those frigid, bitter cold days, -25 degrees! Can't imagine how warm and sunny it must be in Fiji.

We'll all be going to Aunty Lani's for Xmas Day. Lisa & Ty are joining us as are Uncle Bobby and his family. We'll think of you w/every bite of the creme de menthe squares & truffles, and we'll toast you w/our apple knockers.

I think I've done pretty good about not missing you too much but now that Christmas is approaching it's getting harder. I can't listen to certain carols as they make me think of you even more. Knowing that you are safe and happy helps me.

Look for packages coming your way! Kelsey sent one, Aunty Lani, and Papa mailed one today.

Take care of yourself. Hope you can get the pics posted soon. We love looking at them. Jeanne was telling everyone tonight at cards about your house.

I will definitely make a snow angel for you. Tomorrow we're supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow! I hope your 'angel' continues to watch over you and keep you safe. Love, MOM

Johanna said...

Hi Taylar, glad to hear that you are doing well. Things here are good. I will be going to WI for Christmas on 12/22..I am looking forward to seeing everyone. Wishing you a merry Christmas, and all the best to you in 2009! Love, Johanna