Thursday, December 18, 2008

If anyone is planning on sending anything to me in the near future, I'm wondering if you could possibly include some trashy tabloid magazines.

Yesterday I made chocolate chip cookies. They actually turned out! I didn't burn them on the fire!!!! I consider that a great accomplishment. They're the first baked good I've actually made that tasted yummy. I think people here are so used to eating crappy processed desserts and overly sweet sweets that they don't quite get the perfection of a simple chocolate chip cookie.

I'm getting used to picking ants out of my tea or off my bread, grasshoppers hopping around my lantern and mosquito net, finding insects and creepy crawly creatures in my bread and veggies, fruit flies so massive I can hear them from inside my house, mice in my cupboard, geckos in my cupboard... it's weird that this is normal now to me. Weird in a good way.

Thanks for the holiday cheer! I think of Wisconsin often.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Taylar,
I've sent some "People" magazines; can't get trashier than that!

Not sure if I could put up w/the bugs ... creeps me out just reading about them.

Big storm heading our way ~ yes, another one w/up to a foot of snow! Then another storm Sat. and possibly more snow next Tuesday. Just think of last winter and you'll get an idea of what we're going through.

I've sent choc. chips w/the cookie recipe & am trying to put together a box w/more recipes and the ingredients as I'm thinking you can't get some of this stuff in Fiji. I am curious about what sort of oven you have to bake in??

Take care and keep writing. I love reading about your adventure. I admire your strength & dedication. Tell us more about your work and do you want the school supplies/books??? We have TONS of stuff at home to send you! People are still donating and the 4-H club took up a collection, too!

Love you, MOM

Morgan said...

That's gross. You can leave out parts about bugs.

Trust me, you can definitely get trashier than People. Okay! Magazine or In Touch, anyone? I've got some stuff I'll send if the books I bought for you ever get shipped from Amazon.

All I have to say is: -29 degrees. That was the temp in Sheboygan yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Alisi.... I love reading your blogs... and really admire you for your strength and courage. What adventures you are having! We are having rain and lots of fog this weekend. Very strange after all the snow and cold. It think it got to 40 degrees last night.
My kids are here for our Christmas today - last night Jeff, Mindy and I ate at the Cheese Factory in the Dells. They really love it. It's not very often they have so many vegetarian choices.
Take care, love, Jeanne