Monday, May 26, 2008

i'm alive

Bula, hello, from Viti! (Fiji)

Well, it's hot. And busy. I only have a few minutes in which to type so if this is crazy, bear with me. We should have more time Saturday, maybe, otherwise not until August when we're at our sites. Right now we're pre-pre service training- basic language classes and everything we need to know about PC. Today we learned about boils, scabies, diarrhea, and all that fun medical stuff. We eat a lot, and very heartily. Fiji is not quite the place for vegetarians, let me tell you, but I'm bearing with it.

Sunday was by far the best day so far. We went to a village a little ways from where we're staying for a traditional Methodist service where we sang a song and were sermoned at for a good 1.5 hours (i think it was closer to 2). Then we had a kava welcoming ceremony and a giant feast. yes, a giant feast. On the floor in two long rows. We ate with our hands and tried dish after dish after dish of fish, fruits, and other crazy concoctions that were really quite delicious.
The kids took us on a tour of their village (the largest on the Viti Levu island, which literally means Big Fiji) and were so happy to see us. It was quite an amazing experience.

Alright, all for now. I'll try to keep in touch but it will be difficult. Morgan, thanks for the reading lamp! So far I've read Love is a Mix Tape and recommend it to all my music lover friends.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Taylar it was great to hear from you. Glad you're well and adjusting ... doesn't make us miss you any less but gives me some peace of mind!!!

It's funny you mentioned Memorial Day as I had just said to Papa this afternoon that I wondered if you knew it was the Memorial weekend!

The weather all weekend has been gorgeous but today was the best as it hit about 81!

We're all well, feeling your absence every minute, but glad you're having such a great adventure. Hope you can post more soon ....

Sending lots and lots of hugs, kisses, and good wishes!! Love, MOM

Alicia said...

You're alive! I'm glad!

You'll have to teach me all about boils when you get back. ;)

Anonymous said...

It's cool to hear from you, and it's so crazy to think it's already tomorrow there! Is Viti Levu where you'll be staying, or don't you know yet? Oh, and you said it was hot there: well get this - we have a frost advisory for tonight! (This is Kelsey, by the way, using my LiveJournal username.)

Anyway, glad to hear you're having a good time. Hopefully we'll hear from you before August, but if not, have a good summer!

Morgan said...

I didn't think "sermon" could be a verb. Interesting.