Thursday, February 21, 2008

Some updates... (housing, Fiji)

Why does "home ownership" seem to be the magic key to "safer," "better" neighborhoods? I'm glad to hear it finally acknowledged (although not at the level it should be) that in downtown Madison there can be and are long-term renters, even renters with children. It's that stigma that needs to be changed. Just because you implement more programs for home ownership doesn't mean the quality of the people will change. I see the point, "if you own the property you'll take better care of it," but causation and correlation are not the same. Doesn't owning the property give you more license to not maintain a property or to do whatever you want with it, without fear of reprisal? No one can kick you out for doing something they don't like, in your own home.

I think about my neighborhood a lot and the dynamics of it, especially being involved in the Housing team in South Madison. I'm fortunate enough to have an alder who is supportive of housing initiatives and public participation, unlike South Madison (who incidentally only seems to care about providing more housing options when he gets press coverage from a potentially politically problematic issue). I can't really picture myself living in downtown Madison forever, but I also can't imagine not living in the heart of Madison. I hate to be one of those condo dwellers who pays too much, but I really like my location and I really just hate those big multi-unit, cheaply made, massive structures. Then again, I really haven't looked too hard at or for other housing options, nor have I had much of an income to do so.


Speaking of living places... My invitation is to FIJI! Fiji. In three months I will be on a Pacific Island. So bizarre. I'm honestly surprised at all the assurances Peace Corps keeps making in this process. At this point, I've already accepted the invitation and been going through all this since August. If I wasn't serious about it, would I really be at this point? I guess people don't follow through, but all the time, effort, money, and anxiety I've put into the process I sure better be going! I don't know from where I'm leaving, only that I leave the US May 19.

So that's my big news!

5 comments:

Alisha Duffield said...

Hello! I think that I am your for comment and I am very excited about that. My name is Alisha and I will be going to Fiji too! I accepted my invite two weeks ago for the rural community health program. I am very glad that I found you and your blog. I am planning to start my own blog too if I figure someday how to do that. So, we will see. Well, if you get some time shoot me an e-mail (Alisha_Duff_21@yahoo.com)and we can talk about how freakin exciting this is that we are going to Fiji!!! I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Alisha Duffield

P.S. So, far besides you and myself, I know that a couple, John and Leslie Leonard and a girl my age (23yrs old) named Monica is also going to Fiji. They are all in the intergrated environmental program.

Rhiannon said...

Just offering myself as a resource for you all. I have daily access to the internet and will happily answer any and all questions.

Rhiannon
aka "Riya"

www.kiribatipcv.blogspot.com

John Leonard said...

Hey, I'm the John Leonard Alisha mentioned. It looks like several future volunteers have managed to find eachother via the internet. Send me an email (jpleonard2000@yahoo.com). Like Alisha said, my wife and I will be working on the integrated environmental resources management project.

Unknown said...

Oh that's so cool!! Thanks for contacting me, Alisha and John! I am doing an Integrated Environmental Management program, too! Ahh! I don't know about you, but I'm super excited (especially because I live in Wisconsin and it's SOOOO cold and snowy and icy)!!

Seth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.