Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Beast

I'm spending some time in Suva and today I did a little exploring. By exploring I mean I read my way around the Western eating establishments, visited the library, and checked out the USP campus. First, the most un-lively- USP (University of South Pacific). It's a really pretty campus. USP is spread throughout 11 (?) different Pacific Island countries, a very cool idea. You can move around through the different campuses. There's a lot of greenery at this one and a nice bookstore where you can find some trade paperbacks for $8.50 or anything else worth reading starting from $26. Yup, Jennifer Weiner goes for roughly $29 here in Fiji and don't even get me started on the classics!
I then hit up the Suva City Public Library, which just celebrated its 100 year anniversary. It was started by Andrew Carnegie. Of the roughly 220 books, I'd say maybe 80% of them were published before 1970. That said, there are still some gems to be found. however, a library card costs $20. You're able to check out up to 4 books during any 2-week period and I would get 50% of the library fee back after my two years. Hmm...
I ended the afternoon at a cafe called Bad Dog, as American as you can get. Lo and behold, what American beer special did I find? None other than bottles of Miller Genuine Draft ($7, or happy hour price of $3.50) and cans of our very own, very dear, very high quality Milwaukee's Best ($2.50/HH or $5 regularly. Given the exchange rate, it's probably about US$3 so all in all not a bad deal). I was ecstatic, and still am. But I had already paid for my draught beer so I'll save that thrill for the next time.
Ch-ch-changes to come, I'll fill in later but I'm going to go grab that Beast.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Hey Taylar..sorry to hear you had to leave your village, but I am glad that you are experiencing such interesting events in the area. Did the box I sent you get there before you had to leave? If not, I hope the school just opened it, as there were things in there for the school as well as you. Not too much new here, I have been teaching in a kindergarten room for the past few weeks, and I will be there until the beginning of December. They are cute, but BUSY!!!!! My dad had hip replacement surgery 2 wks ago, and is doing well. He went to a rehab hospital in Madison after the surgery, and has been doing PT 2x and OT 1x a day. Hope you are doing well. Will you be going to another village in Fiji, or will they move you someplace completely different? Good luck with your move, and as always, stay safe!! Love, Johanna